Sunday 14 February 2016

Day 1: Muff to Greencastle (15 miles)

It started like any other except much, much earlier.  Alarms are never a pleasant way to wake and this one rang at 03:30am. There was no lounging about  - we had to be on the road by 4. Stanstead was heaving with half term travelers. We boarded the flight and then we waited for what felt like an age. It probably wasn't, but I was anxious to get on.  My husband, Tim, came with me. He's staying with me tonight and heading home tomorrow. Then it'll be just me, my rucksack and the road.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous.

Tim dropped me in Muff some time after 10am. The nice thing about having a support car is that I didn't have to carry a heavy backback.  I brought a much smaller one to carry some essentials and Tim's hire car did the heavy lifting. I'm so glad that I was able to do that because today was the first day that I walked 15 miles in the same day ... and it really hurt. The first part of the journey went very well: the road was wide and flat and the scenery was amazing. Then the road got narrow and twisty and was almost entirely uphill. It was busy and the traffic was going very fast. It was hard going.On top of that there was literally NOWHERE to stop.  I had to keep walking the whole way to Moville which was 20km (12.5 miles) down the road. Tim texted me that he was already there (having had a drive around to the route). I texted back that I was nearly there and then my battery went flat.  By this time my legs were aching, the blister on my big toe was screaming and my back and left shoulder were in a lot of pain. Even though it was small, the backpack I was wearing was really aggravating my spine so as I walked I was listing off the things that I had in my big backpack that I could live without. Tim is going to be going home tomorrow with a few more things than he came with.  Thankfully the design of my big backpack is excellent and I'm hopeful today's issues won't repeat - especially if I get the weight down. As I write this I'm close to falling asleep so apologies if it's a bit flat. Tomorrow  will be brighter!

Arriving in Moville, desperate to sit down and take the backpack off I went on a hunt for a public phone box so I could find Tim, who of course, had no idea I had a flat battery. Surprise, surprise -when I found the public phone it was vandalized so I had to wander around the town trying to find my husband.  On my second run up the main street I spotted the car. The relief!! Finally sitting down, eating and drinking and more importantly, going to the bathroom! After having a delicious seafood chowder and a long cold drink I headed back to the road to do the final 4km. Thankfully the road was wider and I felt a lot safer. Greencastle was the most welcome sight of the day. It was hard work but I am so proud of myself.

Now even though it was really tough in the end, I don't want you to be under the misapprehension that is was all difficult.  There were loads of positives: #1 Our hire car man was the friendliest, most helpful man in Ireland. Not only did we get an upgrade, he told us where we could buy a good breakfast and then gave me the number of a cabbie for my return to Derry airport next week.  #2 Along the way the sun came out, the biting, cold wind eased off considerably and the sun on Lough Foyle was magical.  #3 I met an old man - probably well into his 80s - who was repairing a dry-stone wall.  He smiled at me marching along and wished me well and we both agreed that being out on a day like today was an absolute joy.  And finally #4 the scenery ...









Donegal is beautiful.



Total miles to date: 15 miles.

11 comments:

  1. It sounds like such hard work but you did it! Yay! Day One is accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos on finishing your first day - aches and pains notwithstanding. You're on such an epic journey - and I very much looking forward to enjoying that much-loved scenery! Strength and love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicky. The scenery here is sublime and totally unspoilt!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful first day, done and dusted, girl! The part about meeting the old man repairing the dry stone wall sounded like living history. I love that. The views you had are incredible! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was amazing Robin -his face just glowed with warmth and happiness. If you can be happy in the simple things I think you've found the key to life! As for the scenery here, man it just keeps getting better.

      Delete
  4. An awesome start! Tell us more about what you are dumping - what is unnecessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brought a spare pair of shoes that have gone back. One of my fleeces is currently flying home. I brought enough underwear and socks for 8 days - I now have what I'm wearing and two changes. I will be washing them as I go. To be honest I probably could have sent back my rain poncho too, but I kept it -always be prepared for the weather!!

      Delete