Thursday 2 June 2016

Day 27: Rathcormack to Rosses Point and back again (13.6 miles)

Yesterday worked so well that my body clearly decided that it was OK to relax again and I slept in until 08:20. I couldn't believe it! So I was a bit later than I'd like setting off from base to go to Rathcormack where I was leaving Minty and walking to Rosses Point (along the north of the peninsula before swinging south through a golf course to Rosses Point itself) and then going along the southern road toward Sligo but turning back to Rathcormack before I reached the end of the road. It was a lovely circular route that allowed me to walk along beautiful roads and witness incredible scenery.

This road here was on a headland of sand dunes and sand bars. The sand was so soft and so deep that walking along it became too difficult so I sat down and just looked at the beauty I was surrounded by. As I sat little iridescent beetles and caterpillars came to say hello and sky larks sang loudly overhead. It was like a little slice of paradise.




It was quite a wrench to get up and leave but the morning had given way to afternoon and I was hoping to meet up with another walker who was coming in the other direction.  Alex Ellis-Roswell has been walking continuously since August 2014 raising money for the RNLI (just like me only much, much. much bigger). His aim is to walk the entire coast of England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and The Isle of Man. He's an amazing dude! We'd interacted a little on Facebook and it looked like we were about to cross paths at last as he headed North and I headed South.


I walked across a golf course (keeping to footpaths and roads ((mostly)) and reached Rosses Point itself.  It didn't disappoint. The view of the bay and all the surrounding hills was breathtaking and the gorgeous sunny weather showed it off in its best light.  I sat for a wee while watching kids playing on the beach and on the pier just soaking it all in.





It was getting on into the afternoon and I hadn't had any food since breakfast. To be honest I wasn't really hungry but I saw a big hotel and I thought I pop in a get something light. The hotel itself was enormous and I couldn't find the restaurant (I probably went in the wrong door). The one person I asked wasn't at all helpful so I thought, "Sod it, I'll just walk on." As I exited the hotel I saw an interesting looking statue across a stretch of grass. It was called, "Waiting on Shore," 



The explanation of it made me reflect again how important the work of the RNLI is and how important it is to coastal communities.

Right behind the statue was a sign pointing to the Sligo Bay Lifeboat Station. Even though I've walked over 370 miles so far and have raised over £500 I had never popped into an RNLI station to say hello and introduce myself. I don't suppose that it's a coincidence that my wish to do so has come just when I finally feel I've got the right balance in the walk.  I called in and was greeted by Dermot Gillen who was so welcoming, making me a lovely cup of tea and giving me a load of badges and a keyring for Minty. As I drank my tea the place filled up because of course they were expecting Alex to arrive momentarily! And so we finally met. It was lovely to get a hug from a fellow walker.  It was a lovely break and it was totally fantastic to meet everyone. I can't say enough how I appreciate their hospitality especially when it seems I gatecrashed the welcome for Alex. I got a picture of the event on my phone but not my camera which is why it's not on here but if you go to my Facebook page you can see us. Just have a look through the pictures for June 1st.


I was sad to go but I like to try and get done by 5pm every day if I can so I pressed on, back to Rathcormack. The day was very warm and the sun made the colours if the sea shimmer.


Once I was back in Minty, I headed to Drumcliff to the burial site of W.B. Yeats.The grave itself is unusual only because of its utter ordinariness but also in the car park is a beautiful sculpture which has the immortal words from Aedh Wishes For The Cloths of Heaven:

I have spread my dreams under your feet,
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.






The church itself was absolutely beautiful and was one of the most tranquil places I have ever visited. It was a perfect way to end a perfect day.

Total Mileage: 372.7 miles

Raising money for the RNLI on www.justgiving.com/Jane-Volker

2 comments:

  1. You make a thirteen and a half mile walk sound like a gentle stroll! You really are in your stride now.

    ReplyDelete