Wednesday 15 June 2016

Day 36: Erris Head to Belmullet and back (8.2 miles)

 

I started early again this morning.  I was awake before 6am and I thought I'd get up and out quickly as that had worked so well on Monday. My first obstacle of the day was that the lock on my room got stuck and, as I was up so much earlier that the rest of the house, I decided to climb out the window and go around the house to let myself in the front door. The key worked fine on the outside so I was easily able to open it up.  The pigs in the garden didn't seem to mind my cat-burglar-style shenanigans. They failed watch-dog school, clearly.


Unlike the awful weather of yesterday morning, this morning was bright and sunny and the decision to get out early was to prove a good one. Look at the beautiful flora I found today...

Thistle

Wild Rose in Cerise Pink

Fuschia

I'm not sure what this shrub is called but I remember there was a lot of it in The People's Park in Limerick which I was little.

I parked Minty at a tiny car park near Erris Head and walked off towards Belmullet.  The northern half of the Mullet Peninsula is a series of roads that radiate out from Belmullet to the coast.  My intention was to walk to town, then hitch back to Minty, move him to another spot and walk on from there.  However, in a stunning turn of events things didn't quite turn out that way!


About a mile along the road from where I'd parked up a little dog ran out from a house barking furiously at me. As soon as she got to me she proceeded to lie on her back and give me her tummy to rub. So I said, "Hello," and gave it a tickle and then set off on the road. The dog, of course, followed me. So I brought it back to the driveway told it to stay and walked on again. The dog didn't understand "Stay" and kept following me. I shooed it and got a little cross and walked on and this time I heard no more skittering little paws on the tarmac. Relieved I walked on without looking back. About a mile later the doggy appeared again as happy as anything to be back with me. I'd gone too far to take it back home now so I just hoped like Big Black Dog and Three-legged Terrier of last week, this pooch would get fed up and go home. She didn't.

She followed me the whole way to Belmullet. She had no road sense so as soon as we got to the main road to town, I spent half my time calling her in to the grass verge so that she didn't get knocked down.  She was having a BALL! I couldn't believe a tiny little dog could walk that far! As we approached town the traffic got quite heavy and there was a dangerous junction so - what did I do? I picked her up and carried her until I was walking on a footpath and it was safe to put her down again.  She came with me into the Inshore Lifeboat Station where I met with John again and another RNLI volunteer, Martin. We had a cup of tea while John and Martin tried to figure out who might own her. John gave her water and she was delighted with herself. I was going to have to take her home now but I wasn't sure how successful I'd be hitching with a little scruffy pooch in tow (no matter how cute and adorable she was).  John suggested that I call into a nearby garage and ask if they had anyone going in that direction and I might be able to swing a lift - at least some of the way. When I arrived at the garage there was a recovery vehicle there and the driver happened to be John's brother who very kindly drove me and the dog back along to where I thought she lived. I know I say it a lot but the people I meet are just so friendly and helpful!


I thought she'd run back down her drive but, no she walked straight past the house that I thought was her's and I started to doubt it was the right one. So we walked along together with me looking out for another similar house which of course I didn't find because that had indeed been her house. When we got to Minty I popped her up onto the passenger seat and I climbed in. She didn't want to sit on her own seat though. She wanted to sit on me. She curled up on my lap and could not be encouraged to leave. As Minty is automatic and I didn't need to change gear I just left her there and drove the mile (+) back to her house and drove right in the driveway.  The owner of the house came out to greet me and thank me for bringing her home.  Her name was Minnie and she'd never followed anyone before. By now she'd totally adopted me and was mad keen to get back in to Minty and go with me. However a little girl in the house who owned her had been very worried and I don't think she'd have been too happy about that.  I waved goodbye then headed towards Ballyglass Lifeboat Station.

I had been in touch with Padraic Sheeran yesterday and he invited me to come see Ballyglass Lifeboat Station which is home to  Severn Class All-Weather Lifeboat. I was supposed to text him to let him know when I'd be there but what with all the doggy hoo-hah, I'd forgotten so when I rocked up there was nobody in. I texted Padraic and he said he'd be along in a half hour. While I was waiting I went up to the lighthouse and took a few pictures. Over across the bay the clouds were gathering.


Padraic arrived and welcomed me very warmly and made me some tea. He showed me around the station and we had a long conversation about how the RNLI is rooted in the coastal communities and vital to support the fishermen and everyone who makes their living from the sea all year round.  At this time of year, of course, the sea is used for a lot of recreation. Recently the RNLI has launched its Respect The Water initiative to create awareness of how dangerous the water can be and how everyone who uses it should be aware of dangers and respect the power of the water. It's worth clicking on the link.  The messages on the website could save lives.


I had a lovely time at Ballyglass and it was a privilege to talk to Padraic and learn so much about the lifeboats and the community.  If you haven't done so already, please do consider donating to this amazing cause. (link below).


By now the bad weather was moving in and the clouds and winds were looking threatening. As I drove away in Minty the first rain of the day began to fall. I decided my walking was done for the day. But what a day!


Tomorrow I'll be walking from Belmullet to the Black Sod.



Raising money for the RNLI on www.justgiving.com/Jane-Volker

Total mileage: 468.2 miles

2 comments:

  1. You really do make friends wherever you go! Including the four legged ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Scruffy Dog Minnie will always have a special place in my heart!

      Delete